4/28/08

Old Psychiatric Brawl

Mindless Self Entertainment
By James del Rosario

Charlie Bartlett (movie in theaters, rated R)
Photobucket
Have you ever been lost? Lonely? Completely confused about your life and feel you need some therapy? Well, here you have it! In a bathroom stall! Provided by someone your age! Okay, so it doesn’t exactly sound like the smartest thing in the world, but this gives off the premise for a potentially great movie. Anton Yelchin, who plays the titular role, may well be the next Matthew Broderick. Yelchin is six years younger than Broderick was when he starred in Ferris Beuller’s Day Off. The acting is only as good as the script lets it be, and there some absolutely hilarious moments in the film, though the softer, tender moments tend to veer way off from what was intended. All in all, it’s not a bad movie. Might be worth a look. I’ll grab some caramel popcorn for you when you go check it out. Or not. Yeah, probably not.
3 ½ out of 5 ticket stubs
Photobucket

10,000 B.C. (movie in theaters, rated PG-13)
Photobucket
Check out this old movie. Get it? Old? 10,000 B.C.? All right, so that’s not the greatest joke in the world, but thankfully the movie is far better than my attempts at humor. The story has its moments, but in the end it doesn’t give anything new to the “Guy-Goes-To-Save-His-Woman” genre. The special effects are superb, brilliantly recreating wooly mammoths and saber-tooth tigers. The action scenes are adequate, though I’m not sure of the accuracy because I’m not 12,007 years old and wasn’t around back them. So drawing from my limited knowledge of the prehistoric world, I give 10,000 B.C.:
3 out of 5 ticket stubs
Photobucket

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (game for the Wii, rated T)
Photobucket
I have been waiting all year to play this game. Wait, scratch that, I have been waiting since the release of Melee to play this game. And about three weeks before its intended release date, I learn it gets delayed by about two months. It was scheduled to be released December 12th, just in time for the 2007 Christmas season, but was delayed to February 10th, 2008. It was then delayed to March 9th State-side, and was released in Japan on January 31st. Needless to say, these delays have done nothing but give me a couple of aneurysms and a slew of temper tantrums involving steel bongo drums, a picture of a UFO, and a donut. When I finally got my hands on it, there was way too much packed into it for me to expose in one day, and believe me I tried. Nintendo stuffed everything and the kitchen sink into this game, from Wi-Fi play to an all-new adventure mode and even a 35-strong roster of fighters! Although it still leaves me confused as to why they absolutely insist on continuing to have Jigglypuff. Aside from that, there's all the new stages to fight in, all the new items, and the amazingly incorporated Final Smashes involved. I mean, seriously, I’m getting dangerously close to letting out my inner fanboy-ism. That said, on to the bad. To most non-hardcore gamers, a 44-character roster might be a bit overwhelming, and the load times are a bit longer than I’d like. Which is to be expected, considering, but still. I award Super Smash Bros. Brawl with:
475 out of 500 HP
Photobucket

No comments: